Saturday, November 23, 2013

Selected Stories by Stefan Zweig

I read this collection of novellas over the last two days.  I seldom read anything that quickly, giving myself up to reading for hours at a sitting, rather than just over meals or while my younger kids swim or attend scout meetings.  These kinds of stories are such  pure pleasure for me--set in the early 1900s, in European cities, and delving deeply into people's passions, heartbreaks, and life-altering decisions with clear-eyed sympathy.  Reminiscent of Dinesen's atmospheric, mysterious, heartbreaking, multi-layered tales within tales. 

2 comments:

  1. I've never read S. Zweig. There are so many writers I have yet to discover...and so little time! Days are short here in December ( 21 Dec = 7 hr 40 min daylight) and before I know it....it's time to go to bed. Thanks for your thoughts...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! So many writers/books and so little time!

      Delete