Saturday, January 14, 2012

Interview Questions from Booking Through Thursday

Booking Through Thursday asks the following:

What’s your favorite time of day to read?
Mealtimes.  That's almost the only time I am not doing something else. 

Do you read during breakfast? (Assuming you eat breakfast.)
Yes (see above).  On weekdays, the New York Times. On weekends, anything goes. 

What’s your favorite breakfast food? (Noting that breakfast foods can be eaten any time of day.)
Buttered toast.  Heavy on the butter. 

How many hours a day would you say you read?
Probably average three.  (See first question above.)

Do you read more or less now than you did, say, 10 years ago?
I would say the same amount, but different choices of reading matter.

Do you consider yourself a speed reader?
I try not to be, but I'm afraid my tendency is to gulp rather than savor. 

If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
The power to periodically pause time, so I could rest alone when feeling stressed, then continue on where I left off.

Do you carry a book with you everywhere you go?
Yes.

What KIND of book?
Whatever I'm currently reading.  So I can occupy time in waiting rooms or at kids' sporting events.  Unfortunately, this is really wishful thinking on my part, as I generally have to talk with other parents, etc., and don't actually get to read that much while out.

How old were you when you got your first library card?
Probably around 5 or 6--at school. 

What’s the oldest book you have in your collection? (Oldest physical copy? Longest in the collection? Oldest copyright?)
Ooh.  Let's see.  The very oldest would be some family heirlooms given to me by my Mom a few years ago:  100 Best Short Stories, in ten volumes, published by Funk & Wagnall's in 1927.  I also have all my adolescent comfort reading (Agatha Christies and Mary Stewarts from 30 years ago). 

Do you read in bed?
Actually I don't, because I don't go to bed until I'm pretty sleepy, and can't focus that well.  Instead, counterintuitively, I do crosswords in bed.  Incredibly relaxing.  Couple of clues and I'm asleep. 

Do you write in your books?
Almost never.  Can't make myself do it.  If I do, I do it very lightly in pencil and erase later. 

If you had one piece of advice to a new reader, what would it be? 
Try something you don't think you'll like.  You might be surprised.

What question have I NOT asked at BTT that you’d love me to ask?  Name a book you love in a genre you normally don't care for.  What made you decide to read it?  Did it make you want to try more in that genre?

No comments:

Post a Comment