Tuesday, January 10, 2012

What the Kids Are Reading

What are they reading and loving?  Not what have they been assigned, but what would they recommend, asks 5 Minutes For Books.  Well.  I have four of them (kids, that is).  Let's take a look, shall we?

Eldest daughter (17):  "Finally, a book I want to read!"  Said upon catching sight of The Woman in Black by Susan Hill on the counter at my elbow.  Her excitement stems, it must be confessed, from the fact that this book has been made into a soon-to-be released movie starring--wait for it--Daniel Radcliffe.  She hasn't actually started it yet, and she's not getting her mitts on it until I finish it.

Second daughter (14):  The Complete Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle.  At least, this is what she brings to breakfast every morning, and it's only the tip of the iceberg.  On her nightstand at this writing are The Way We Live NowVanity Fair, and  Les Miserables, as well as, I think, one or more of the Hunger Games and Percy Jackson series.  This one is a devourer like her mom.

Older son (11):  Percy Jackson all the way.  Is reading and rereading them in order.  Won't look at anything else right now.

Younger son (8):  To Space and Back by Sally Ride & Susan Okie.  This guy voluntarily reads only non-fiction, and that only if it relates to whatever his passion du jour is (currently space travel).  Previous passions include gladiators and aliens.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like your kids are very interesting readers! I'm looking forward to sharing more books with my daughter (well, I share HER books, but she doesn't share mine, although I think she's going to read the Help).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's not all that often that she wants to read something of mine, but it's always interesting when it happens, because her take is likely to be very different than mine. There may be an interesting conversation about The Help in store for you.

      Delete
  2. The Hunger Games series was great!! I loved them. I seriously was so mad when I had to wait for the last one. Great pics all around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both my daughters blazed through these and absolutely adored them!

      Delete
  3. I agree with Jennifer that your kids are interesting readers. Sounds like they definitely know what they like to read! My own 8 year old isn't big on non-fiction though he does like it when he reads it. It's just not the first thing he reaches for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he is my guy who insists he doesn't like to read. But if there is a book around with a spacecraft on the cover, he's all over it.

      Delete